6.16.2012

DIY- Custom Coffee Mugs

On May 26th one of Brian's best friends got married.  We hang out with Joe and Jenna a lot, so we wanted to get them something meaningful as a part of their gift.  To do this we got some simple white coffee mugs from Ikea and some enamel paint to make them some custom his & hers coffee mugs.

All you need to do a project like this is Folk Art Enamels Paint, a fine point paint brush, and some white pottery.  You could even do a whole dinner set, which I'm sure Brian and I will do as soon as we get a place together.

First I painted on their names, a stethoscope for Jenna since she's a nurse at the children's hospital, and a music note for musician/recording engineer Joe.  When you change your color make sure you fully clean out and fully dry your brush.  You don't want to water down your paint.  Then I changed to red and painted some hearts for that love, marriage, ooey-gooey stuff.  If you goof up you can easily wipe it off as often as you want until you cure it.  No fear of screwing up!

 After you paint on your designs let your dish air cure for an hour, then place it in a cool oven.  Turn the oven onto 350 degrees Farenheit, oven cure for an hour, turn off the heat, then let the dish fully cool in the oven.  It's important to let the oven pre-heat with the dish already in it so that your dish won't crack.

Just like with Pebeo or any other ceramic paint the paint is food-safe, but the constant contact with food will wear it off.  So try to keep your paint to the areas of dishes uncovered by food or drink like the edges of plates and outsides of bowls and mugs.  Just to be safe I'd handwash the dishes too.  If you make some cutie dishes too leave me a link in the comments!

xoxo, Mallory


15 comments:

  1. I've used this paint to decorate wine glasses! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool!!!

    www.ohhletmesee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! We are making sure cute Christmas mugs with our children's little handprints on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can you buy oven-safe mugs? Such a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the common design and I think everyone tried it just as me, few days ago, I had used this design not exact the same but it just seems like you designed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing a exhibit for my company at a Halloween convention this year and I was thinking of doing personalized mugs. Have you ever used dometag.com? I came across them but I want feedback first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personalized mugs are useful resource for product-based marketing campaigns, as now onwards it has developed roots in the masses and it is to be considered the best approach to put a logo on these customized mugs which retain forever and these mugs are the home products so if someone promote its product via Engraved mugs so it can reach to many homes and target multiple customers at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personalized Name Mug is my favorite! Do you have this kind of mugs? I think this is a great time to make these mugs. Great gift ideas this coming Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is fitting to have a mug that reflects your personality, hobbies, tastes or lifestyle. While personalized mugs bearing everything from initials to astrology signs are available for sale at a variety of retailers, it is possible to make them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this at Christmas to give as gifts and all the Sharpie rubbed off. Do you have any suggestions and did you have the same problem?
    Great blog! I am a Pinterest fan who is about to graduate college at my heaviest weight so your blog is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These customize mugs products are much popular and people like to buy these mugs as the promotional tool of marketing your product with an ease.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute idea of making the mugs adorable. Keep posting thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a cute idea!!! love your blog!! amazing diy mugs...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks so much for leaving a comment! I appreciate and read every single one!